Surgery and anesthesia are safer than ever thanks to modern advances in anesthesia, surgical techniques and preventive health care.
Surgery is always scary for pet owners. We offer advanced anesthesia and surgical techniques to make surgery safer than ever.
We offer a wide range of surgical procedures using safe and modern surgical techniques. All patients are carefully screened for safety, and anesthetics are specifically tailored to your pet.
Our excellent surgical procedures include everything needed ensure the safest, most effective surgery possible for your pet:
- Fully trained veterinary and technical staff
- Advanced sterilization techniques
- Comprehensive pre-anesthetic exam by the doctor
- Comprehensive pre-anesthetic blood & urine testing for anesthetic safety
- Comprehensive pain plan customized to the individual patient's needs including appropriate medications to control pain before, during and after surgery (and take home doses as needed)
- IV catheterization for rapid IV access for emergencies
- Warmed IV fluids to maintain blood pressure and protect internal organs while maintaining body temperature
- Heated surgery table for greater comfort
- Patient warming before, during and after surgery with circulating warm water blanket during surgery, warm air blanket during recovery and double thickness polar fleece blankets
- Anesthesia plan customized to the individual patient's needs to maximize the comfort of the patient, minimize the risks of anesthesia and help ensure a rapid, comfortable recovery for your pet
- Premedication with appropriate pain & sedative medications
- Anesthesia induction using appropriate IV medications
- Endotracheal intubation
- Gas anesthesia for maintenance of anesthesia
- High quality autoclaved surgical tools
- Good quality sterile suture material for secure sutures and minimal irritation
- Intradermal sutures for less irritation and better healing
- Patient monitoring and recovery monitoring by a trained veterinary nurse, technician or assistant
- ECG and oxygen saturation monitoring
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Pre-surgical boarding the night before surgery if preferred to admitting the morning of the surgery
- Surgical re-check appointment to check healing and remove any sutures
When possible, we offer the owner the opportunity to make decisions about elective aspects of their pet's care -- but we never offer substandard care.
Unlike some hospitals which may cut corners on "routine" alter surgeries, we follow our same high standards of care on every sugery we perform. These surgeries may be "routine" for our experienced surgeons, but major surgery is never routine for the patient! Even though we perform hundreds of alter surgeries a year, your pet has just one in a lifetime and we want to make sure the surgery is as safe and pain free for your pet as possible. Detailed information on spay and neuter surgeries can be found on our Spay & Neuter page.
Rigorous sterile techniques are used to protect your pet from the risks of infection. Modern techniques such as "intradermal sutures" with no external stitches for your pet to lick or chew and that do not require removal (since they dissolve over time) are routinely employed to make recovery faster and less prone to complication.
We utilize the safest available anesthetics to provide that extra margin of safety. Each patient is examined before anesthesia and an anesthetic plan is chosen that is safe for the individual patient. This is especially important for older or high risk patients. Using the most modern equipment the patient's vital signs, including blood pressure, are monitored during anesthetic procedures.